Saturday, August 23, 2008

Desires and Decisions





It's an obsession and there's nothing like an obsession to make you sympathetic to sticker shock.


It's always a little distressing to have someone pick up a one of a kind cuff that has $50 worth of materials and 15 hours of work in it and say in utter disbelief, "$300?" It's almost painful.


And then you get a yen for something wonderful and the more you think about it the better and more important it seems and so you go shopping.

For me, right now, something wonderful is a journal. I have journals for various things, but none for my work. Ideas just float in and out of my head till I can realize them or until I lose them. I've reached a point where I need to keep track of them and I'm ready to do it. But I can't just stick these ideas in $2.00 pad from Target's Clearance aisle, can I? I need something suitable and inspirational that will last forever! I need something worthy.

So I go shopping for a handbound journal. It can't be 4" by 5"! I need room! 8" by 6" is more like it. It can't have 20 pages. I need room! 300 should hold me awhile. And it has to sing to me. And have you priced them lately? $200 is midrange for something like that! It's paper and cowhide. Sticker shock.


And then you think of everyone who picks up tiny glass beads and silver and stares unbelievably at the price. And as sure as that cuff is worth every cent, so more than likely, is the journal. But my funds are by no means unlimited and it's a mental shift to view a book as worth more than say, $50.

So maybe just go back to a handbound journal.



inabinddesign's gorgeous Golden Rod and Cream Handbound Journal is in my price range, $30 when you add shipping. It's 8" x 5 1/4", with 200 pages. But it's not leather.


MyHandboundBooks Distressed Golden Suede Leather Journal is leather. 320 pages and it is about 8" X 5½". $51



But I prefer the color of moonbindery's Grey suede leather journal, but it's small-- only 4 3/4” x 6” and I can't tell how many pages it has. $50



Same issue there as with Kreativlink's On the Beach Journal 4 1/2" x 6", 240 pages. $52



lapaperie's Handbound Leather Journal
looks perfect and it's 5½" x 7", 320 pages. $62

But I don't know about spending $62, especially when I'd have to rob Peter to pay Paul and Peter may just come after me with a vengeance later.

I'm very bad at decision making too. Perhaps this calls for Alchemy, which of course, has it's own issues. I want it now.

































4 comments:

  1. I agree 100%, you can't put those future designs in a cheap notebook from Target! You need something special, something handmade. I love handmade books/journals! I lusted after one on Etsy for a year until it sold...for $250. Thought I knew it was worth every penny, I just didn't have that many pennies to spare.

    Have you every considered making your own? Good paper is expensive, but you could use the exact type you wanted. You could also choose the cover and the binding, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan-- I actually have thought of it-- but I know so very little about book binding. I could try I suppose, but eek!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how you feel about wanting something and knowing it is probably worth every penny but wondering where are those pennies going to come from. I think a lot of us are that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. journaling is a good way to keep your ideas and thoughts preserved. one idea might not work yet for now but you will have good use of it in the future. i used to keep a journal myself but haven't had the time to write on it for some time now... i find myself busy with my daughter, housework and blogging.. so many things to do, so little time. :D

    ReplyDelete