Saturday, June 21, 2008

Nice People with Good Taste







Nice people with good taste make me so happy!

I'm an artist and most of the time I sit tinkering alone, plucking things out of my own little world, tossing them onto the web like throwing down a gauntlet and just daring people not to love it. It's great, but when people aren't banging down the doors after my stuff it can get exhausting (I have this whole theory about how selling art is all about personal validation, but that's another post.)

From time to time super nice people come to me and say 'I love your work, make me something.' That's incredibly gratifying. I mean, these people are trusting me to dress them! They've seen enough of my vision to believe. I love that. And I love that I enjoy combining my vision with what I know of them to make something especially for them. And I love that they love it when I'm done.


I just finished an awesome pair of earrings-- not the sort of things just anyone could wear, but she loves them. She wanted something primitive-- which these are-- and she sees the uniqueness and beauty in these. It comes down to her seeing the uniqueness and beauty in me, so maybe that validation theory isn't another post after all.

12 comments:

  1. Ok, where is the picture to go along with this post? LOL I really would love to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, That validation is what it is all about, rightly or wrongly. There are schools of thought that it isn't art until it's put out there for the world to see. Art requires its audience :D

    I'm not surprised that folks see the beauty in your art and in you!

    *hugs* and welcome to the world of blogging...great start!
    Carol Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. a very lovely start to a very lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting musings on validation/art. I want more about this from you, please.

    I don't know how I feel about it myself. I know I feel more like an artist now that I have an etsy presence, however small. But at the same time I'm NOT more of an artist- I'm the same as I've ever been. It's all very fuzzy for me. And I love to read what others experiences are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carol-- and that is an interesting thought!

    Thanks Amber and Melody-- I'll keep that in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can also get frustrated when I am not selling my art. I get gratification when people just look at it. I don't have to sell either. My favorite thing is when I give my beadwork as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You express yourself very well, both with words and with your art. I relate to your validation theory. I, too, feel that rush when someone recognizes my work as being of worth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is beautiful, Sarah! So are your earrings. Your customer has excellent taste.

    Welcome to the world of blogging - you'll never be the same. :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those earrings. They're beautiful, but they're also great because I can see both the artist, AND the person who would wear them in them. I love pieces that are unique and catered to individuals like that, because they tend to say, "This is who I am and this is the artist I love and trust!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for posting the first comments on my blog:)

    It's interesting that some perceptions are so pervasive amoung artists.

    ReplyDelete