Saturday, June 28, 2008

That's Interesting

Does any one else hear Johnny Depp in the first Pirates movie as he clinks cursed treasure through bony fingers?

In the the southern part of the US 'that's interesting' can be a sweet way of saying 'if you say so, you're an idiot, but I'm too polite to say that, so I'll just say that it's interesting and hope you don't notice that you're an idiot'. Yeah, you gotta read between the lines in the South.

The problem with all that is when one of us artsy types says 'That's interesting' we usually mean that we really find it interesting, as in of particular interest. As in we may like it very much. Makes for interesting conversations.

So, of interest to me today is my treasury, The Tree Climber Awards. It's been forever since I've had one. I loved DreamON's Tree Climber painting so I went looking for stuff to show it off. EBW is always my first stop for fantastic goodies. I searched cats and trees for most of the rest. And binarywinter's dragon shirt made the cut because the colors were right and I've been eyeing it. Dragons interest me. As do trees, cats and beads. And pirates.

12 comments:

  1. Hahaha Great post! I love pirates & I'm from the South as well. You are so right!! Great blog I'll be back! yum sushi! You're my kinda girl! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Janet:) Glad you enjoyed and I do hope oucome back:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee. I grew up in the south. We work HARD to phrase those things just right...

    My favorite example?

    "Hey, you got a haircut!"

    Inevitably the person with the haircut will say, "Thanks."

    Hmm. It wasn't really a compliment now, was it?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. BTW, thanks so much for including Champagne Fire in your latest treasury! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your writeup, Sarah. Loved your treasury, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like your blog! it's sort of catchy! keep up the good work. i wish i could help you identify your audience-base, but two years later, i'm still wondering that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess we do ML, and most of the time that's totally cool. But every once in a while it's like 'wh-a-a . . ?'

    Thanks Marilyn and Amy:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're so right! I wonder when the word "interesting" lost a lot of its meaning in everyday speech...
    Very interesting post! ;-) (but I really mean that, as in, "Your post captured my interest"...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a creative treasury! And interesting in the best way possible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for checking in Adina & Marlaine:)
    So many words have lost much of their meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Interesting" is like the kiss of death here as well. That's when the old adage "if you can't say something nice (and mean it, for heaven's sake!) then don't say anything at all" should come into play. In my opinion, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. CD, sometimes that's my reaction to when I sense that my conversational partner's 'interesting' isn't the same as my 'interesting'. Especially when they're talking about my work!

    ReplyDelete