Friday, November 14, 2008

blank pages and slates

I was reading recently about the difficulty of a blank page, how it can be hard to figure out what subject to broach, how to start writing. The author suggested just opening a browser and starting to type-- turning the post essentially from an article to a conversation.

I actually do that fairly often. Sometimes blogging can serve as a kind of catharsis. Sometimes, it just a way to share what's on my mind. Sometimes is helps me to explore ideas.

I sometimes do the same thing with beads. Instead of planning a piece out, I'll select a bead I want to work with, gather some that would look good with it, sit down and start beading with no clear idea of where I'm going. That's why I say that beads are my primary source of inspiration. Sometimes it's like they're pulling the strings, and not the other way around.

Recommended Daily Dose of Art: Breath of Winter

--
Reminders:Voting is going on for the EBW Challenge. I'm coming in 3rd right now, which is pretty exciting! Go Vote!


Check my blog sidebar for a link to sign up for my monthly newsletter. You'll be entered to win a $20 credit toward anything in my shop on December 1st!

1 comment: