Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Bazaar-- How'd It Go?


Thanks to all of you for bearing with me and taking an interest through all of this!
-
It went ok. I got up and packed the car because, despite good intentions I didn't get any further than the den last night.
-
I had my directions and got there in plenty of time. Miriam met us as we drove in and she directed me to a couple parking spots. We unloaded everything and tried to get the tent up.

I haven't touched that tent in . . . 8 years? 6? Anyway, we got it half way up before I remembered to put the top on and then finished setting up while trying not to bump our heads before I figured out how to make it go all the way up.
-
I only took one table and I should have taken two. I had sooo much more inventory than the last time I did a home party.
-
We tried to give out cards and bookmarks to everyone. We'll try harder next time. Both were a hit, and, who knows? I may get more sales from those cards.
-
If someone admired one of the pieces I had on a card we tried to give them that card. Sister mine did most of that. Mother mine did the snack and drink runs, which we needed, and I experimented with 2 drop peyote and stayed out from under the table.
-
The little tent cards sister mine made were really pretty and great for mailing out orders, but on a windy day they had a tendency to blow all over the table. We'll try flat cards next time.
I tried to keep my eyes open for good display ideas so that I can improve my presentation a bit.

I bought a few pieces of quartz, citrine, flourite and agatized coral from a local rockhound who doesn't believe in the internet. I wanted to tell him I didn't believe in face to face, but there I was.
-
I got to meet a few Etsians! savannahsoapkitchen was on one side and TheInspiredElements (who recognized my work from Etsy) was on the other. dammas dropped by and grabbed a card and said, 'thebeadedlily?' I felt like someone who'd forgotten something important. But then when I found out that we hadn't had any dealings on Etsy, but she recognized my name and even told me about the time she Googled me. Wow. Then I felt like a celebrity. treeleafdesign also made an appearance and may do the Bazaar next month.
-
Everyone I mentioned Etsy to seemed familiar with it. That was cool.
-
A former workmate made it out to check out my work. One very kind lady dropped by and oohed over the table and wanted to know where else I showed my jewelry. She seemed disappointed to find out that I was only on-line currently so I asked if she'd like to be notified of other shows when I did them and she said yes. So I started a mailing list:) She also took a bunch of my cards to put in her salon.
-
I sold a few pieces of my Primitive Series. Folks admired the bracelets and necklaces I made for the show, but they didn't move. It's fine. They'll go in a couple weeks at a home party I have scheduled.
-
People oohed and ahhed over the beadwork. I met a few people who do beadwork too. One lady fell hard for my Links cuff. She said she couldn't afford it, but she showed it to her friends and then grabbed her husband to show him. They left and then came back and oohed over it some more. Sister mine found out that they were from up North but that their daughter is going to SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design). They admired a few other pieces then she said she was taking the cuff.
-
I didn't believe my ears till she pulled out her money. Wow. She asked me about the stones, which I'd sort of just ran through earlier and I wrote the names of the elements in the cuff and told her about its design. She boggled about the wing carapace parts. She was so excited about her new piece of art and so connected to it that for a moment she was connected to me and I gave her a hug before she left.
-
I miss the piece. I was proud of that one. It found a perfect home though.
-
Miriam Hodesh came by as we were packing up to ask how it went and if we had any comments or suggestions. I thought that was awesome of her.
-
So I'm exhausted, but I'm glad I did the show. I didn't sell much, but I did sell one of my cuffs and I got some exposure which can't hurt.
-
So I plan to do it next month too and we'll see how it goes.

13 comments:

  1. Congratulations Sarah! I'm so glad you were able to participate in the bazaar. How cool that you got to meet some other Etsians and some recognized your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey I've been thinking about you today Sarah and I'm so glad you went ahead and did it and have come out the other side. I do know how it is ;0)

    Big congratulations on the sale of the cuff and a friendly hug to you ((((Sarah)))).

    Kerrie x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I am proud of you. You went out there and faced your fears. I am glad you made some sales anyway. Exposure is good too, though. Good luck in your next show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking about you today! I'm so glad it went well, and you sold a cuff!!! Yay!!

    You rock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so proud of you, Sarah!!!!!!!! YAY! :D Selling the cuff is just icing...you took the biggest step and now you'll be able to do it again. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I bought a few pieces of quartz, citrine, flourite and agatized coral from a local rockhound who doesn't believe in the internet. I wanted to tell him I didn't believe in face to face, but there I was."

    That's so funny!! You should have said it to see his reaction.

    Congrats on the show ... I hope it results in additional sales. And hopefully you'll do better next month, especially as your name gets out there and know to the regulars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like it was worth your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! Sounds like you had a lot of fun!
    ~Hyla
    http://earthyfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a fun show, and nice to have you as a booth neighbor! Congrats on taking the leap, and I'll see you next month!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hanks you all for your support! I appreciate it sooo much! I needed it:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i was thinking about you yesterday and wondering how it went...congrats on the sale of you cuff and it sure sounds like you had a great day! i think you are going to see repeat customers from this bazaar. how wonderful to meet fellow etsians too. i love doing shows - i always love seeing people react the work. congrats again! yay sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay!!!! You did it!!!! And congratulations on selling your Links cuff!! I, too, was wondering how it was going for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete