Thursday, February 26, 2009

advice, anyone?

I don't know if anyone's noticed yet but I've radically changed my listing descriptions in my shops.


The goal was two-fold. Primarily I wanted all the information to be easily assemilated by an on-line browser.


Secondly, I was hoping to streamline the listing process a bit while ensuring that I didn't forget to include important information-- like measurements.


So here for your review-- meaning I hope you'll tell me which you like better and why-- two listings:




Beautiful and rustic, watery teal recycled Indonesian glass defines this turquoise necklace.

---

turquiose-- great shapeAfrican white metal-- love these things!

Indonsian recycled glass

glass seed beads

professional quality beading cable

sterling silver wire

---

The easy to use, secure and lovely 's' clasp is handformed (by me) sterling silver wire.

---

18 1/4 inches (46.5cm)

---

Sent Priority Mail.

OR

it's a savage world necklace

It's a savage world-- make the most of it with this wild red necklace of horn, wood, raku, clay, fish, red agate, crystal and glass beads.

Asymmetrical and surprisingly lightweight, this one-of-a-kind piece will add a little primitivity to the reds or browns in your wardrobe.

This asymmetrical design is finished with one of the thebeadedlily's signature handformed sterling hook clasps.

18 inches (46cm), strung on professional quality beading cable.

Sent Priority Mail.

Matching earrings:http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=16122976

--

OK. Please tell me anything your inclined to say-- even if it's just a tiny little thing-- or big, great, huge thing that you think may be a sensitive spot.

I'm mainly concerned with the listing verbiage and layout-- please share your thoughts there and be as specific as you can . . .

I appreciate all you help, advice and support as you read my blog. Thank you!!!

13 comments:

  1. OK here goes I like the second listing better - I just feel it is friendlier or maybe warmer – if that makes sense. Maybe I want to say more personal – like your are actually talking to me and telling me about the piece of jewelry. To me, it just flows better in sentence form rather than the flat statements in the first listing.

    I also want to say your photos are top notch!! I sure hope this is what you are looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer the second listing as well. BUT...why not do a combination of both? Provide the nice chatty wording at the beginning and then also give the bullet points in the style of the first listing. Just a thought ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Carol Dean's suggestion.

    I especially like the way the second listing combines warmth and personality with brevity, and the separation of the key thoughts by paragraph.

    I am a big fan of line breaks, for ease and speed in reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Sorry about the deleted post. That was me. Wrong account.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also prefer the second one, friendlier, more informative, less of an "ingredient" list more personal and in my view more enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with everyone here; I prefer the second listing. The first one made my eyes just sort of jump randomly and I didn't actually absorb anything. The second one sucked me in and gave me the info needed.

    Though I think a combo could be useful, listing some of the basic info in list form at the end--the infos there if anyone missed it, and it doubles your use of the keywords for search engines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in agreement with all of these. And very grateful that you brought the whole thing up, actually. I didn't really understand about making the blurb search-engine friendly, but would have had the same dilema. I love the ideas here of doing the friendly descriptions with the bullet point to summarize.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are just killer!!! The second text layout appeals to moi. Visually it reads better for my human eyes. But for search engine bots the first text layout will be more efficient for indexing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too- the second one has some of you in it- combining the two styles for search engine friendliness makes good sense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too prefer the second listing. It feels more personal and more like the artist telling a story about the piece rather than just describing it's parts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked the first one until I read the second one. :) I agree with the above suggestions about combining the two. I think the "ingredients" list should be at the tail end of the description. I don't know if that messes up the SEO, though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Ok-- I so appreciate all of your input. I'm going to try to combine the styles per your suggestions:)
    Thank you, thank you, thank you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete