Saturday, October 18, 2008

the girl's gone wild . . . or start with what works

I promised some pictures of what I'd been up to.
The neutral seed are supplies for the months Ancestral Expressions challenge and the green ones are for sistermine's anniversary.
The tooth is for BIL on the same occasion-- he wanted a cuff along the lines of Barbary Coast, but I'm putting it on leather instead of beads.
The two ovalish beads are bone and stone for my challenge project.
The clay pieces are from a search for buttons to close sistermine's present. The round on is from Muddy Muse Pottery and the large raku is from Lisa Peter's ART-- that button is so killer. I have no idea what to do with it, yet, but I saw it and it called my name! Her pictures are fabulous, but I'm telling you, they're nothing like the real thing! Love my button-- will buy more!
The little stash of funky beads were found during a search for bone for my challenge project. They're ancient Roman pieces and they're pretty fabulous too! Not saying I'll use them like that-- it's just how I found them.
I've actually started beading my Ancestral Expressions cuff yesterday. It's coming along nicely! I decided to go with two drop peyote and my false start this time was so incredibly minor-- yay!
I shouldn't have bought all that stuff-- I know. It's a lack of self-control! But I needed most of it, really, and the rest was on sale . . .
And I'm trying really hard to be good for awhile now-- but it's really hard because there's another bead set I'm lusting over . . . .

Start With What Works is Victoria Hughes' 2nd point in Working From Within. After Setting Your Intention, which I mentioned yesterday, Victoria asks us to figure out what works for us and what we really love. These kind of materials work for me. Primitive works for me. It works for my processes. So far so good!

--
Also Thyme2Dream tagged me again the other day! Since I just did this tag, I'm going to follow Alison's example over at The Explorer's Notebook and dole the 7 factoids out one at a time over the next week.

#2 I've been scratched by a bear, but not hard enough to draw blood. It was an accident actually.


Tagging AJ at EarthFae's Meandering Thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. Ha, I love the title. Those beads look great together. The buttons are really awesome and the tooth. Love it. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. could you elaborate on the bear issue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds more interesting sans elaboration:) It was at a zoo in Egypt where the living quarters are not so hot. The keeper had coaxed the bear to stand at the front of the cage by offering treats so we could touch him through the bars. I was leaning with both arms against the cage so I could get maximum contact and he dropped from two legs to four when his snack was finished. His claws grazed my arm and I just stared at the white marks for a second and then thought-- how many people can say they've been scratched by a bear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to see what you come up with from all this gorgeous raw material!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tag! :D

    I lovelovelove that selection of beads! The colors look so beautiful. I can't wait to see what you come up with for Ancestral Expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I lost my commment. Grrrr.

    I love these photos... they remind me of a spice market, full of sights and sounds and smells and everything! Gorgeous!

    I certainly cannot say I've been scratched by a bear (although perhaps my cats think they are bears)... and in Egypt, no less.

    Thanks for the shoutout!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see everything you come up with from the stash. You have some cool items there.

    ReplyDelete