Wednesday, October 29, 2008

keep a loved file


That's a tip I got from the Art Biz Blog and I thought it would be a nice thing to pass on. I'm a procrastinator, so I haven't started mine yet. That is, I keep the comments, but haven't placed them all in the same file where I can reach them all at once.

When or if I do, certainly I'd include a comment from a friend whose first remark on the piece I gave her was that, 'It was the nicest thing anyone had ever done' for her. An exaggeration to be sure, but a sweet one!
*
One of my first Etsy transaction feedbacks has an exciting image in it:
lovely transaction all around, less than a week from ordering a custom piece to it being in my hands. quick like ninja and beautiful, dainty rings that fasten easily (something i always have problems with in cartilage piercings).
*
More recently a customer said:
Love. Love. Love. Really great beadwork. Interesting and solid. The center pendant is cool as stink. I just love everything in this shop and know I'll be back for more! Thank you so very much . . . again.
*
Once in awhile I get little notes on Etsy. One describes an encounter with an artist/gallery owner with an MFA who is constantly jurying local work for her store. The note says she was 'blown away' by my work.
*
Fellow beadweavers have commented that they fine my work fearless and complex.

I always save little comments like this and I frequently look at them when I'm feeling disconnected or brittle bone dry. Sometimes they motivate me to work which can bring me up out of dark places.

So if you've said kind things about my work or the work of others, thank you! Keep it up! It may be just what they need to hear!

And if you tend to fall into creative funks yourself, perhaps a perusal of appreciative comments about your own work is something that could help!

7 comments:

  1. I never thought to keep the comments that people make about my work. Well, I honestly can't say that. I do tend to keep the emails but they are not all together. I guess I need to do that. That sounds really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl...Your Jewelry is super cool and inspiring!!
    One thing for sure...your Cuffs are Beautiful and BAD A$$!!
    Definetly a keeper comment to you, from my love of your Art:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is amazing Sarah! Loved the "quick like Ninja" comment! :)

    And really good idea! I could definitely use those pick-me-ups sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have a loved file, but when I'm feeling down or discouraged, I go through my Etsy feedback, and that usually perks me back up again. In fact, I think I'll do that now, cause it's been a long day already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's good to know that every artist, no matter how talented (and you ARE talented) falls into a slumpy frumpy stage sometimes - I thought it was just me being moody. It's a good idea to keep an 'uplifting moments' file somewhere. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, I can totally relate. Stunning photo!

    ReplyDelete